8/28/07

Flowers For Algernon

"And I had almost forgotten.

Only a short time ago, I learned that people laughed at me.

Now I can see that unknowingly I joined them in laughing at myself. That hurts most of all.

I have often reread my early progress reports and seen the illiteracy, the childish naïveté. the mind of low intelligence peering from a dark room, through the keyhold, at the dazzlinglight outside. In my dreams and memories I've seen Charlie smiling happily anduncertainly at what people around him were to saying. Even in my dullness I know I was inferior. Other people had something i lacked - something denied me. In my mental blindness, I had believed it was somehow connected with the ability to read and write, and i was sure that I could get those skills I would have
intelligence too.

Even a feeble-minded man wants to be like other men.
A child may not know how to feed itself, or what to eat, yet it knows hunger
."

- Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes

i suggest people to read this book. a simple story of a low intellectual man who wants to be just like anyone else accepted an offer to be an experiment that changes him to become wiser. the story potrayed a man's journey on realising who he really is and what he really wants in his life; shows its curiousity, domineering side of men and at its weakest.

--------------------

and i was trying to concentrate with the book when i sensed the person facing me was staring directly at me the whole journey back home. it was fucking obvious because her shifty eyes were like everywhere when i tried staring back at her. when i shifted my attention back to the book, she stares right back again. it's so annoying i wanted to show her the finger. but then again, i wore office wear and its just weird showing the finger (though i dont do it). by the way, it's really rude to stare a person. weren't you taught manners?! *clicks tongue

No comments: