5/25/08

Have You Hugged Anyone Lately?

prior to 3Point8's entry on the Free Hugs Campaign, i've decided to write something based on what i've reflected after visiting Juan Mann's blog and the freehugscampaign.org website. you wouldn't know how much warmth i've felt after reading how the Free Hugs Campaign came about.


"I'd been living in London when my world turned upside down and I'd had to come home. By the time my plane landed back in Sydney, all I had left was a carry on bag full of clothes and a world of troubles. No one to welcome me back, no place to call home. I was a tourist in my hometown.

Standing there in the arrivals terminal, watching other passengers meeting their waiting friends and family, with open arms and smiling faces, hugging and laughing together, I wanted someone out there to be waiting for me. To be happy to see me. To smile at me. To hug me.

So I got some cardboard and a marker and made a sign. I found the busiest pedestrian intersection in the city and held that sign aloft, with the words "Free Hugs" on both sides.

And for 15 minutes, people just stared right through me. The first person who stopped, tapped me on the shoulder and told me how her dog had just died that morning. How that morning had been the one year anniversary of her only daughter dying in a car accident. How what she needed now, when she felt most alone in the world, was a hug. I got down on one knee, we put our arms around each other and when we parted, she was smiling.

Everyone has problems and for sure mine haven't compared. But to see someone who was once frowning, smile even for a moment, is worth it every time."

- Juan Mann

you can never imagine the number of kleenex i've used. (sorry, it can't be helped. i am THAT emotional) when is the last time you gave someone a sincere, warm hug? have you felt such love and warmth that sometimes you just felt you're actually nobody and you're all alone? i have not done that for as long as i can remember and now i just feel like hugging people. if Juan Mann is right here in town, i'lll take a cab, fly over and hug him!




support the freehugscampaign.org by spreading the word. spread that love and warmth. give someone a sincere hug to show you care! you might think a hug doesn't mean anything, however, you might think otherwise when you need one.

sometimes i just wished people are born happy, no rage, no sadness, no hatred. but someone once told me that he sort of guessed and figured that we were initially born happy, however living in such a shitty world the gloominess just overshadows.

i had a conversation with YL:

(click to enlarge)

then the question went on. why hate when there's love?

my friend told me it was an act: a balance of nature. picture my expression v_v

mind boggling, open ended questions keeps me seeking, for that particular answer i'm looking for. i'm a seeker for unsolvable answers. if you do have the answer, write me a comment. i look forward hearing from you guys. (:

6 comments:

Juliana said...

omg, the video's so touching! :)
and there were the funny bits, like when some people just jumped towards the free huggers and hugged them. :D

Anonymous said...

When I first read that, I felt something i my throat. This is a very touching piece!

If you ever happen to come to sydney, you should pay this guy a visit. He is always there on thurday in the same place.

C said...

@juliana: hugs for you, girl!

@3Point8: i wished i could! i'll be leaving for Australia but not to Sydney though! ugh! guess i'll have to do it some other time then.

3POINT8 said...

oh...dun worry, it has been a few years and the original guy is still there. I have a feeling that he'll be there for a long time.
So, no worries. I'm pretty sure he'll still be there 50yrs later when u come visit sydney.
Well, if he isn't, I can give u a friendly hug!

Jez said...

i want a hug too!
i dont remember the last time i had a warmth hug...geeeehhh
is there any place other than sydney where i can have a free hug?

C said...

@j e z: hey sure if you're right here i'd have given you a hug! :) smile babe! have a great one!